Sunday, March 22, 2009

Laura Did Her Best to Look as if She was Having a Splendid Time, Though No one Was Asking Her to Dance


I named her Laura in the painting though this piece is inspired by the movie, "Alice Adams" starring Katharine Hepburn. This is one of the most heart wrenching scenes in the movie where she is mingling with high society and being snubbed because she is poor and is wearing last year's organdy dress while everyone else turned up in the latest and much more sophisticated styles. Alice is making every attempt in the world to appear as if she were having the time of her life though everyone is avoiding her.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh I love this painting! I so much feel for Laura. She looks so ready to dance too.

Unknown said...

What a sweet painting. When I read your title, before I read your post, I immediately thought of Alice Adams... such a heartbreaking scene. I can't really tell because it's such a tiny detail but is she carrying her pathetic little bouquet of flowers?

vivienne strauss said...

Thank you for commenting Elizabeth & Kate! Yes that is a tiny bouquet of violets in Laura's hands, I toyed with the idea of making them "violet" in color but didn't want to draw too much attention to them.