Friday, February 13, 2009

I Watched Love Story today


When I was a teenager I had the lines to this movie memorized, having read the book and seen the movie countless times, always sobbing until my eyes were red and swollen. I watched this movie while I painted today, mentally mocking the the time period and my remembered teenage angst, determined not to cry THIS time. It helped that I was busy working and not giving it my full attention, I hung in there but at the very end I caved, not when Jenny actually died but when Oliver ran into his father outside the hospital and that fateful line was delivered for the second time "Love means never having to say you're sorry". Actually I do not believe that at all. Love means saying you're sorry a lot! For hurt feelings, for things said in anger, often you apologize and you don't even know what you're supposed to be sorry about.

3 comments:

matte stephens said...

I cried and cried :(

O de FLANEURETTE said...

don´t ask me why, or how, but i have just finished reading "oliver´s story" the second part to the original book...easy, chortle-along read, not badly written at all...doing some research on erich segal i found out that what an interesting greekscholar chump he is...even penning the YELLOW SUBMARINE movie for the beatles...weird!

vivienne strauss said...

I read "Oliver's Story" once in the 70s, it just didn't have the same punch that "Love Story" did, but sequels seldom do. I had no idea about him being involved in Yellow Submarine!