Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Ballets Russes



I remember hearing about this movie several years ago (2005) on NPR one day on my way home from work. Of course by the time I arrived at home, I had already forgotten about it. I probably got sidetracked with dinner. I've been re-reading a lot of Edward Gorey lately and thinking about his obsession with Balanchine and the New York Ballet (after seeing a friend's photo on Flickr! of the theatre in Chicago where she attended a ballet herself).

I watched The Ballets Russes twice yesterday, what wonderful and inspiring people they all were, many working in some capacity of their field of dance well up into their late 80's and early 90's! There was a lot of actual film footage and photos from as far back as the 1920's up through the 1960s when it was heading into a complete financial decline. I thoroughly enjoyed all the interviews and became rather attached to several of them and by the end of the second viewing I was crying.

Tomorrow I will post the painting I did as a tribute both to all the wonderful ballerinas and danseurs of the Ballets Russes (there ended up being two competing companies) and to Edward Gorey.

No comments: