Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Man Who Fell to Earth by Walter Tevis


Matte had bought the Criterion Version of The Man Who Fell to Earth a while back and it came with the novel it was based on. I had never seen the movie and there was a blurb on the box that stated that you wouldn't get the full meaning of the movie if you didn't read the book. I could not put the book down, it was extremely well written and concise and beautiful. As soon as I finished reading, I couldn't wait to watch the movie version, especially being a long time David Bowie fan. I have not yet taken the time to find out what Walter Tevis thought of this movie rendition of his novel, right now I am too frustrated. I found the movie completely unwatchable. There were all kinds of sex scenes in the movie that were not in the book, in fact, the movie barely followed the book at all. Maybe I'm just not a fan of "cult" classics but I feel genuinely disappointed and ripped off by the movie version of the novel...

No comments: